Riding bikes, bringing waterCorporateSustainability
In order to give concreteness to the principles that inspire us, it is valuable for us to give continuity each year to the commitment in terms of initiatives in the social field.
Last year, on the occasion of the 2019 Connection Day, the “Riding bikes, bringing water” initiative was organized in favor of the “Water is life” campaign promoted by LVIA – Lay Volunteers International Association. The installation of two bicycles in the foyer had allowed each participant of the convention to literally pedal towards a common goal: the creation of a well in the Afar region, in Northern Ethiopia, so as to contribute to the improvement of the conditions of the pastoral communities of the place, often subject to humanitarian crises related to drought.
The procurement procedures for the supply of goods and purchase of materials for the construction of the well began during December 2019, while the rehabilitation work started in mid-January 2020.
Despite the difficulties related to COVID-19, the project was completed in about two months: in fact, the renovation of two water systems for human consumption, a washhouse to alleviate the domestic work of women and a watering trough for livestock were completed. All local actors have been involved in a process aimed at the proper management of facilities and equipment, as well as the promotion of water as a common good.
The Afar shepherds raise various species of livestock, mainly camels and cattle, maintaining additional flocks of goats and sheep. 80% of the population still lives on transhumant pastoralism, while the remaining 20% also engage in agricultural activities.
According to LVIA’s Final Report, thanks to the possibility of using the drinking troughs built for their animals, as well as washing troughs for women, 1,176 people have benefited from the rehabilitation of the selected water points.
Teoresi’s social commitment does not end here: soon we will tell you about the new initiatives starting in 2021.